Welcome

The writing blog of James Christopher Sheppard. I am a 26 year old gay male from London, UK. Here I present my experiences, poems, thoughts and opinions...

Please follow, enjoy, comment and make suggestions. Thank you!

Saturday 6 August 2011

Call me what you want, I love the south.



It's important to consider what we learn as we endure difficult times. My experience in Hull has been largely disastrous. I found that the city had very little opportunity and that living in such a congested deprived place had massive implications on my mental stability. But the whole episode has taught me some very important things.

  • I can honestly say, with total confidence, that I know myself better than ever. Being taken out of my comfort zone of the south made me sit up and accept who I am. I'm a southern boy, someone that is used to living in or right next to London, and I have trouble being in less accepting or multicultural surroundings. 
  • A break from being in London was definitely needed so that I could appreciate everything the capital has to offer.
  • My friends are the most important thing in my life. Being two hundred miles from all of the people I consider close friends was the most challenging and upsetting thing of all. I am a single and independent man, but my friends are everything to me. I didn't realise just how much so until now. 
  • I'd rather be broke and in a town I like and near my friends, than in a place I can't stand and be sorting out my finances.
  • Life is too short to be sensible if it comes at the cost of your own happiness.
  • Do not feel guilty about your choices. It is your life and will effect you more than anyone else. 
  • If you are unhappy and you need to change something, do it. I cannot stand it when people do nothing but complain, but never do anything to resolve their problems. 
  • I have a very short fuse with people in my own home. When I am at home I like to switch off. I don't take kindly to having my personal time or space invaded. 
  • I'm actually a pretty sociable person, but only around certain people. I am not one you can take out and can be the guaranteed soul of the party. It is very dependent on the people I am mixing with and the place. 
  • I would rather live in the middle of central London and risk being in a high risk terrorism area than be bored to death in Hull. 
  • I seriously dislike the North East of England and Hull in general.
  • I'd rather live in a tiny room with virtually no possessions in London, than have a large room full of belongings in the north. 
  • People from Hull are so different to those from London that you could literally be in a foreign country. The culture is stuck somewhere in the 1990s. There's a lot of chavs and a lot of indie kids. And that's about it.
  • Racism and homophobia appear to be more accepted in Hull than anywhere else I've been. As in people make racist comments and expect you to agree with them. It is appalling. 


I shan't go on as I can feel myself ranting on and on about how uneducated and grim people are in Hull and I'm sure I've already got my point across. Ultimately, I appreciate what I have in the south more than ever and I am itching to get back and make the most of it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment